Friday, October 5, 2012

Basketball?

A note came home with Diana last week, inviting us to attend a meeting about Special Olympics basketball. "All students enrolled in special education that want to play basketball are encouraged to attend. All skill levels welcome." She's always said that b-ball was her favorite in (adaptive) gym, so I asked her if she wanted to play. I have no idea if she understood the question I was asking her, but we're going to the meeting next week.

I think it would be an incredibly good experience for her. I can also foresee a lot of frustration on her part, as her idea of playing basketball (from what I have observed) means stealing all the balls and not sharing them. *shrug* We'll see.

Being an only child of antisocial parents, she could benefit a lot from the enforced social interaction of a team sport. It will get her out of the house (I'm assuming there will be practices involved, and games) and playing with kids her age. It will get her out from in front of her computer. (It will also get me out from in front of the computer, since I'll be the taxi driver.)

I am cautiously optimistic, knowing no more about it than I do.

We shall see...

No comments: