Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bad Days

Diana was reluctant to get out of bed this morning, in spite of the snow (which she loves) and a field trip today (which she also enjoys). When I firmly told her to get up, now, that got her out of bed... on the wrong side.

Talking to her can be like walking on eggshells. One word misspoken, one slight raise in volume, one change in tone, could set her off to a place of nonsense phrases she will repeat as a comfort thing, that drives me crazy. That's what happened this morning. So I suppose her foul mood is all my own fault. *sigh* How do you gently coax a lazy kid out of bed? Some mornings I succeed with humor; this morning, though, that didn't work. This is one of the things I hate most about autism, and how it affects her. One tiny thing could set her off for a whole day.

What "triggers" do your kids have, and how do you handle them?

No comments: