Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Jealousy? Hormones? Insanity?

Our lovely daughter objects to us talking. If she's at the other end of the house, she closes the doors to muffle the conversation. If I walk into his office, or he into mine, she will walk to the doorway and whine and complain. Now she's doing it in the car, too. It makes for an unpleasant drive, let me tell you! We're either silent, or talk anyway and endure the (annoying) fuss that ensues.

The only thing my mom could think of was jealousy. As in, she's jealous that we're talking and not including her. It's as plausible as anything I can come up with, but why did she wait until 10-11 yrs. to start this behavior? I am seriously considering taking her to the psychologist who diagnosed her, and demanding he fix it! (Oh, OK, I wouldn't put it quite that way, but that would be the gist of it.)

Since she can't answer the question "Why are you unhappy?" I have to assume it's an emotional issue she just doesn't understand. If the conversation continues, it will escalate to angry sobbing and screaming, and that's even more annoying than the whining. I really (really!) want this to stop.

No comments: