Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, "Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot." - Michael Savage, radio personality
My daughter has a father in her life and a strong, supporting family network around her. She doesn't "act like a moron" or a "putz," nor can she "act like a man." My daughter isn't "ill;" she has a neurobiological condition, something that the doctor of nutritional ethnomedicine should have some understanding of, even if he's a PhD, not an MD.
What Michael Savage, nee Weiner, is is a hate-mongering, misinformation-spewing ass, with no sensitivity or tolerance. Supposedly, he does believe that some cases of autism are real, and that these kids are hurt by any overdiagnosis he claims occurs. But apparently he doesn't think that those same legitimately diagnosed kids would be hurt by comments like his. And many more hurt with the comments of not having a father - many marriages touched by autism end in divorce. I've heard 80%, but that number is not verifiable; it is clear that it's higher than the national average, though. So throwing "you've got no daddy" at a child who indeed has no father is just cruel.
Here's a diagnosis for you "Doctor" Savage: Antisocial Personality Disorder. From the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual (DSM) [the bible of head docs]:
The essential feature for the diagnosis is a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood due to the lack of love and care for the child.
Three or more of the following are required:
1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
5. Reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
Were you abused as a child, is that why you lash out at everyone the way you do? Hmm... I think Michael Savage is a threat to himself and others. Better lock him up!